Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Surprise!

Russell is planning his own surprise party. I suppose I should probably attempt to explain to him that it doesn't really work that way, but hey... at least the kid knows what he wants & is willing and able to go after it, I guess. Last night he informed me that his dad would be taking him to play golf and when they came back from playing golf everyone he knows will be there ready to jump out and yell, "Surprise!" After that, I will serve carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and we will present him with his new quad, dirt bike, or go cart (he's giving me three choices since he DOES like surprises.) As a parent, this sort of situation is sticky. I'm torn between the side of me that loves my child so much it hurts and can't stand the thought of disappointing him if and when his very precise ideals can't be met and the side of me that feels pinned against the wall by his expectations and feels a little like squashing his dreams before they get any bigger and therefore more unrealistic. (Boy, it sounds ugly when I say it like that...) Anyway, those of you who know me well know that I'm a people pleasing pushover so be expecting a party invitation.

2 comments:

  1. That is so funny-I hope he enjoys his surprise party. I am sure he will, since he is planning it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo glad you're back! You have been missed.

    Did you fix your monitor or get a new one?

    Niall would LOVE to attend a surprise party. Especially if all the guests get to ride the new quad:)

    ReplyDelete